Thursday, April 10, 2014

Plural Nouns vs. Possessive Nouns-That is the Question!


I had the opportunity to use an amazing resource by Laura Candler with my kids this past week. We have been working on the difference between plural and possessive nouns, and it has proven to be quite a challenge. However, using this resource has helped my kids tell the difference with ease!


We started out our week by following the explicit lesson plans in the pack. The kids especially enjoyed finding objects to write sentences about ownership. For example: Suzy found a pencil that belonged to Joey. This is the sentence she wrote on her white board:

After using other practice activities from the pack, I placed task cards at my word work station. I used one set of cards as a sorting activity for the kids to determine whether the sentence used a plural or possessive noun.

I placed the practice pages in plastic page protectors. That way, the kids could read the sentences, write the correct word in the blank, turn the pouch over to check their answers on the back. I like to have the answers available. 

Some people don't like to use the answers . . .they don't want their kids to 'cheat'. In my opinion, because the kids are learning a new skill, it is important for them to have immediate feedback. I sure don't want them practicing the wrong material!

I kept one set of task cards intact and had the kids write the correct word in the blanks. I used this activity as a quick check so I could monitor understanding.

If you need to teach your kids the difference between plurals and possessives, this is the pack for you! It is thorough, clear, and very visually appealing. I give it 'two thumbs up'! Thanks Laura Candler! 
If you would like to use this pack in your own classroom, just click {here} to scoop it up! If you'd like more great ideas from Laura Candler, you just have to visit her blog at {Corkboard Connections}~You won't be sorry you did!

Have a Fab Friday!

Photobucket












13 comments:

  1. What are the signs of worldwide recognition of individuals during this modern world? Of course, numbers of followers to the Twitter account is truly a firm sign in these days. buy twitter followe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    Signature:
    i like play happy wheels demo online and play happy wheels 2 games full friv4school , games for girls , games go girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I am very happy to know your blog. Here are some blogs I would like to send you. Please don't delete the link, hi
    tâm sự cuộc sống
    lăng mộ đá đẹp
    game slot đổi thưởng uy tín
    bắn cá vip
    lamcavetxe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Labels

Add to Google

Total Pageviews

Follow on Bloglovin